Match report Wellington vs Taunton

Wellington’s under 15s boys rugby team made history on Sunday 29th April when they became the first side in Wellington Rugby Club’s 144 year existence to retain a title winning the Somerset Cup for the second year in succession, beating local rivals Taunton 20-10 at a breezy Weston super Mare.  Nine Court Fields boys played their part in this victory including a try from Evan Greening and a conversion from Jonty Ogilvie.

Wellington, for a lot of this first, were penned into their 22 by a relentless Taunton attack with big hits coming in. It seemed only a matter of time until Taunton would breach Wellington’s defence. Taunton had a chance to take the lead via a penalty right in front of the posts. They opted for a kick at the posts but somehow, the fly half hit the crossbar and it ricocheted back into play.

Wellington scored a try via the number 8 barrelling over the line to score. The try was then converted by the fly half Jonty Ogilvie. When the first half was coming to a close Taunton scored a controversial try to make it 7-5 to wellington. Again the kick missed the target, leaving Welly with their noses in front at the break

Evan Greening’s try came early on in the second half to stretch Wellington’s lead.  A difficult angle and gusty conditions meant converting this try would be difficult. Despite this, Jonty put in maximum effort and the ball shaved the posts; unfortunately, not on the inside though. 12-5 to Wellington.

Jonty Ogilvie was subbed just as Wellington were given a penalty in front of the posts. So the new no.10 went for a kick at goal converting it to make it 15-5 to Wellington. Jack Higgs picked up a bouncing ball and made a run down the wing to then pop the ball off to the number 8 to score his second try and to make 20-5 to Wellington. The kick wasn’t converted. The game was almost over when Taunton pushed over the line for their second try of the game, the fly half missing again.

Late in the game, the Wellington captain received a yellow card, reducing the team down to 14, but they held on, getting a final penalty, which the scrum half gleefully kicked out of play to bring an end to the match. The final whistle went and Wellington under 15s had made history in their town, and the celebrations could begin, once the cup had been awarded and all the players received their medals.

The Court Field boys involved were Evan Greening, Jonty Ogilvie, Joshua Harper, Louie Justice, Benn Lowman, Jack Higgs, James Candia Massey, Archie Lang, Zac Monteiro.